Low Carb Diet Plan
A low carb diet plan means that an individual consumes a higher proportion of fat and fewer carbohydrates. It is also known as low sugar diet and low carb high fat diet. Contrary to what most people believe, natural fat is not unhealthy. A low carb diet minimizes the overall intake of starches and sugar. It works with the principal that a person can eat foods that are low in sugar and starch all they want and still manage to lose weight.
How it works
Since the 30 day low meal plan avoids starches and sugar, there is a drop in the levels of the fat-storing hormone called insulin and the blood sugar stabilizes. This is what causes an increase in fat burning, facilitates satiety, decreases food intake and ultimately leads to weight loss.
Reputable studies strongly indicate that low carb high fat diet promotes easy weight loss and control of blood sugar as well as other benefits.
The following are some basics of low sugar diet:
- A person should eat natural fats such as butter, vegetables that grow above ground, eggs, fish and meat.
- Starchy foods and sugar should be avoided which these include potatoes, beans, rice, pasta, rice etc.
- People who are on the 30 day low meal plan should eat until they are satisfied. This means that they do not need to track their calorie count or even weigh their food.
- Low-fat products that have been industrially produced should completely be avoided.
There are a few precautionary measures that should be observed by those on a low carb diet plan, and the notable ones include the following:
- It is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding.
- It is not recommended for patients who have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and are on medication.
- The low carb high fat diet is not recommended for people who have been diagnosed with diabetes and are on the appropriate medication.
Foods to eat
The following are the foods that people on 30 day low meal plan should eat:
- Meat – any kind of meat is allowed i.e. poultry, game, lamb, pork, beef etc. the fat contained in the meat and skin on the chicken should as well be consumed. Select grass-fed or organic meats as they are healthier.
- Seafood and fish- All types of fish can be consumed i.e. herring, sardines, mackerel, salmon etc. Breading should be avoided.
- Eggs- Organic eggs that are prepared in a variety of ways can be prepared i.e. omelets, scrambled, fired and boiled.
- High fat sauces and natural fat- Use cream and butter to cook food for better taste and to promote satiety. Olive oil and coconut fat are ideal options.
- Berries- Eat berries in moderation and they can be taken with whipped cream.
- Nuts- Nuts are good for a low sugar diet but should be eaten in moderation as well. They are good substitutes for chips, candy or popcorn.
- Dairy products- It is advisable to choose full- fat option such as high-fat cheeses, Greek/ Turkish yogurt, sour cream, cream (40% fat) and real butter. Low-fat, sugary and flavoured products should be avoided.
- Vegetables- These should be the type that grow above the ground surface. These vegetables include tomatoes, peppers, onions, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, spinach, olives, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, spinach, bok choy, collards, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower etc.
A low carb diet plans allows for the following drinks:
- Diet soft drinks
- Water with lemon
The following are the foods that may be incorporated into low carb high fat diet on special occasions:
- Dark chocolate, this should preferably be above 70% cocoa.
- Alcohol, dry wine vodka, brandy, whisky and even cocktails that lack sugar.
Foods to avoid
The 30 day low meal plan needs people to avoid eating foods like the ones listed below:
- Sugar – These include breakfast cereals, ice-cream, pastries, buns, cakes, chocolate, sports drinks, juice, candy and soft drinks.
- Starch- These include muesli, porridge, potato chips, French fries, potatoes, pasta, bread, whole grain products and legumes.
- Fruit- Generally, fruits that contain a lot of sugar should be avoided.
- Beer – Liquid beer is enriched in rapidly absorbed carbs and should be avoided.
- Margarine- This is butter that is industrially imitated. It has a very high quantity of the omega- 6 fat. In addition, it has no health benefits.
The low carb diet plan does not totally rule out carbohydrates as at least 20 grams should be consumed on a daily basis for optimum results. The aim is to consume less than 100 grams of carbs every single day.